Friday, August 31, 2007

fuck us on family



You know how bad it is? Last Saturday morning, I was at Newton MRT and a secondary school girl was fulfilling her compulsory charity work by collecting money for this:



She approached me to give money and I told her that while Focus on Family does undoubtedly conduct some positive affirming programmes, asking me as a gay man to donate was like asking a Jew to donate to the Neo-Nazis.

I'm not sure if I should be more disturbed by the fact that she had no idea that she was collecting for an anti-gay organisation, or by the fact that her friend knew and was collecting anyway.

Of course, the main point is that an actively bigoted group is able to receive funding through Ministry of Education programmes like this. Big heave.

4 comments:

Irene said...

WTF???!!!

Sheesh.

Readymade said...

Blame youthful apathy. That kid was probably just trying to fulfill some community service requirement. Probably didn't give a damn about Focus on the Family's causes.

Well, hopefully her eyes have been opened to some of the realities out there.

What I'm curious about is why Focus doing flag days in the first place? Don't they have enough money from their parent org in the US?

Ng Yi-Sheng said...

YOU CAN NEVA HAVE ENOUGH MUNNY. MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm just as guilty as that kid, really. When they introduced the programme in JC, I remember one day I was enormously successful collecting donations for Planned Parenthood before someone told me he wouldn't give because he didn't support abortion. (Back then I was much more conflicted about abortion, mostly because I'd never realised the insanity of having that right taken away.)

Mezzo said...

OMG, Z and I ran into one of them last Saturday too - this time, it was a boy from ACJC.

Unfortunately for him, we'd just finished watching Jesus Camp. I believe that Z, in a moment of quick thinking, dragged me off just before I screeched, "NOT FOR FOCUS ON THE FUCKING FAMILY!"

I hope the kid's alright. No one should have to meet me when I'm in a mood.